Dutch Research Counsil (Dutch: Nederlandse organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek, abbreviated: NWO)
About the client:
The Dutch Research Counsil (NWO) is a Dutch science funding body to encourage quality and innovation in scientific research with national and international collaboration. About 1 billion euros is invested in curiosity-driven research annually, funding more than 7200 projects at universities and knowledge institutions. For more information, please visit https://www.nwo.nl/en
- Design a logo that includes elements of the process of sand filtration.
- Design a website that allows programme members to login and easily share and moderate content per research project.
- Design a diagram/poster that would summarize the program research themes, projects and partners involved.
About the partnership:
The Partnership Sand Filtration aims at high capacity, robust, efficient and low cost production of drinking water based on sand filtration. There are 5 research projects that can be categorized in three interrelated areas. For more information, please visit: https://www.nwo.nl/en/researchprogrammes/partnership/partnership-programmas/dunea-vitens-sand-filtration
The client chose a design that has a sand dune effect enclosed in a common symbol for filters. A clean droplet of water hangs below the filter, symbolising the effective filtering of drinking water based on sand. The word ‘Filtration’ has been set in bold to provide contrast and emphasises the key element of each research project. Nexa Bold has been used as font.
WordPress was chosen as the content management system for the website to keep the sharing and modifying of content by all programme users accessible. The design is clean and has a lot of whitespace. The orange and yellow from the logo provide accents on the website, e.g. menus and links. The landing page focuses on important updates within the programme that are posted in small excerpts. The website is compatible for mobile devices and was launched mid-2021.
The design of the project diagram (poster) for the Sand Filtration partnership corresponds to the programme’s logo design. Yellow and orange sand dune tones were added to the background in a transparent manner. The logo, general programme related information and the partners are positioned to the left 1/3 of the poster. This leaves the other 2/3 of space right of it for the 5 research themes and partners.
After leveraging valuable feedback from the client in several sessions, the design of the poster was optimised. Each project was given a different colour, that was taken from the dunes and lists a brief description, the participating institutes, the project leader plus members. The poster was delivered digitally in high quality 50 MP, 300 dpi, CMYK format for printing purposes.
- Contaminants of Emerging Concern
- BioGeoCivil Engineering, an NWO-sponsored program with 6 research projects (2011 – 2016)
- Designed the logo for this Bio-Based Geo & Civil Engineering for a Sustainable Society program
- Designed the 2013 Joomla website for biogeocivil.nl with ca. 70 users accounts and 3 levels of access to be able to share and moderate content publicly and privately
- Facilitated domain and various hosting services for biogeocivil.nl from 2013 – 2016